These six pups were in such a horrible state that vets said they had never seen worse cases of mange. Two pups gave up their struggle for life on the way, but four survived, and are waiting for forever homes.
Kristina Rinaldi, is the executive director of Detroit Dog Rescue (DDR). She and her team were informed of abandoned puppies in an abandoned house in Detroit, Michigan. When they got there, they did not expect anything like what they saw. Although they were used to seeing pups in miserable conditions, this was simply a shocker.
6 pups, pink and hairless, with painful sores all over their bodies, lay seemingly lifeless, burning in fever. “When I say that these puppies were literally on fire, they were on fire,” Rinaldi told The Dodo. “They had high temperatures.”
They had lost their fur because they had picked up an infection, a skin disease called mange. Usually the fur is lost in patches where the infection occurs, but these dogs were totally bald, indicating the disease had spread to their entire bodies, leaving not a single spot. The kind of irritation and pain they would have suffered is unimaginable.
“I’ve seen a lot of mange cases in my dog rescue career, but this was the worst mange I had ever seen,” Rinaldi said.
Rinaldi realized the urgency of the situation and rushed the puppies to a vet, but unfortunately, 2 of them died on their way to the clinic. As for the other four… “The veterinarian said, ‘We’re working against the impossible,’” Rinaldi said.
The four pups underwent emergency treatment and stayed at the care facility for about 12 weeks. Staff members dressed them tenderly in baby onesies to help their skin heal. Slowly but steadily their condition improved and they are now ready to be adopted into loving forever homes.
When Kristina Rinaldi from Detroit Dog Rescue (DDR), first took a look at the pups, she was shocked.
The doggies were found in an abandoned house in Detroit, Michigan
They were pink and hairless, afflicted with mange, with painful sores all over their body, and were running a very high fever.
The doggies were pink with not a hair on their bodies, due to a serious skin disease called mange.
“I’ve seen a lot of mange cases in my dog rescue career, but this was the worst mange I had ever seen”, said Rinaldi.
“The veterinarian said, ‘We’re working against the impossible’”
They stayed at the care facility for about 12 weeks getting loads of love and the right medical attention.
Meanwhile, staff members tenderly dressed them in baby onesies to accelerate the healing of their infected skins.
What with the right amount of love and care, they got their fur back and were ready to be adopted into loving forever homes.
Although they had a very sad and painful childhood deprived of love and care, they can now put the past experiences behind them and look forward to be a part of a happy family!